Monday, January 19, 2015

Convicted of a Minnesota DWI - Denied Entry into Canada?

If an individual is convicted of Minnesota DWI, an experienced Minnesota Drunk Driving, Criminal Defense Attorney can help fill out forms necessary to circumvent the general rule to exclude certain people from entry - click here) to submit to the Canadian government to get a waiver or “pardon” from the ban to entry in Canada.  

If you are not granted a waiver or “pardon” then you may not enter Canada for five-years after the completion of your sentence (not five-years after you were sentenced). That means five-years after you get off probation!  

You will need to bring certified copies of your court papers with you to the border to prove that you have completed all the conditions of your sentence including fines, alcohol classes, probation, etc.  A person barred from Canada because of a c criminal convictions can also apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.  

All of these forms of relief (a pardon, temporary resident permit, etc.) require high application fees and a long waiting period to see if they are approved or not.  

Given the complexity, long waiting periods, and application fees and attorneys fees involved in trying to get relief from a ban on traveling to Canada because of a DWI conviction in Minnesota or elsewhere in the U.S.,the best thing to do is to hire an experienced Minnesota DWI Defense Attorney to help you keep a criminal conviction off of your record and preserve your ability to go to Canada whenever you want.

You probably have a lot of questions --- feel free to The Rolloff Law Office (now!) to discuss your case: (612) 234-1165.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that it was that strict with DUI's I think it is good that lawyers are able to get the pardons for their clients because there are some that are innocent. I had a friend get a DUI because he was driving a little too crazy on the roads. He had to get a lawyer to help him get a lighter sentence.