Sunday, January 24, 2016

Minnesota's Expungement Laws (Statutory Expungement)

This is probably a very obvious observation ... but, having a criminal record can severely limit anyone’s ability to get a job or housing or financial assistance. 

As luck would have it, there is a way to “erase” your criminal history. This is called “expunging” or “sealing” your criminal records. The easiest way is called a statutory expungement.  A statutory expungement seals your judicial (court) records and your executive (BCA, police, etc) records.

What Do You Need to do to Get an Expungement?

In order to qualify for a statutory expungement, one of three things must have happened. 

First, the most common is that the case was resolved in your favor. This means that your case ended with a dismissal by the prosecutor or court, a continuance for dismissal (or a continuance without plea), a diversion program, a not guilty verdict, or some similar resolution. In this situation, you are entitled to an expungement and there has to be a very, very good reason not to expunge your records.

Second, certain cases where a juvenile was prosecuted as an adult may qualify. 

Third, certain drug cases qualify when the case was resolved with a stay of adjudication pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 152.18, subdiv. 1. Unlike cases resolved in your favor, in these situations, you have to make some showing to the court that the benefit to you in sealing your records is equal to or greater than the disadvantages to the public and the agencies in sealing your records.

Now What?
To go about sealing your records under this statutory authority, it is wise to have an experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney assist you. Navigating the legal language and obligations can be difficult and overwhelming. 

You are required to submit an affidavit, a notice of motion and motion to seal, and a proposed order to seal. In addition, you have to serve every agency that will be affected by the expungement.

The, the hearing, which occurs at least 60 days after filing the documents, can be handled by your attorney. Your attorney will give you a waiver of appearance so you need not attend. At the hearing, the judge will review the reason for the expungement, determine if there have been any objections, and issue an order. 

Once the order is issued, there are sixty (60) more days for the agencies to appeal the order. After that, your records are completely sealed!

Want to start over?  Call The Rolloff Law Office today to set up an appointment for a FREE CONSULTATION to get and Expugement: (612) 234-1165

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Minnesota - Avoid Going to Court!

A comment that I have heard many Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorneys make goes something like this:

 “This would be a great business if it weren't for the clients.”

Now ... while that sounds a little (?) condescending ... I can tell you this --- often, my clients have said the same thing about court - ie., is there any way my case (which requires somone go to court) can be resolved with me ever having to have to go?  The answer is: Yes!


If you have hired a Minnesota Criminal Defense Lawyer there are some MANY cases where you can avoid going to court --- and you can make him/her do all of the work.  

The TRUTH:  In almost all misdemeanors, you can avoid going to the first appearance if you sign a waiver for your lawyer.  Frankly, most of these hearings result in simply getting a new court date. 

It is the practice of The Rolloff Law Office to almost always has you waive your first appearance in misdemeanor cases, we want you to appear at all other court appearances because we need to be able to discuss potential resolutions or setting the case for trial.

If you have been charged with a Gross Misdemeanor or a Felony --- things do become a tad more complicated. 

If you have questions about your obligation ... and/or you don't really feel like going to court - if at all possible - feel free to contact  your attorney whether you can waive your appearance in court. Never go to court and still get the right result.  Interested?  Call The Rolloff Law Office today: (612) 234-1165