Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Intoxilyzer 5000: Good Enough is Good Enough?


What do horseshoes, hand grenades and this "machine" all have in common?

Apparently, when your freedoms and rights are on the line --- "close" is good enough. Although I am sure that this will not be the final word on the Intoxilyzer 5000 (and don't get me wrong - Judge Abrahms' ruling was quite thorough and well-reasoned,) the "good enough for government work" ethos that pervades the use of technologies like this - under the guise of serving and protecting you and I - is alive and well here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

I say pity the powers that be who seek to perpetrate this fraud upon the citizenry. Especially, when there are proven  methods available to law enforcement (that have been verified as accurate!) to assist them in doing their jobs. I ask you - why must they continue to employ this out-dated blow-toy?

Think about it, is "good enough" good enough when your job, your wallet, your reputation and all to often your future are on the line? The answer is easy: H*ll no! 

But, maybe - in the end - all is not lost. Heck, when you have a judge strongly implying - that this "severely challenged" and "at the edge of ... usefulness" tool might have been used to falsely convict individuals charged with DWI, I think I see the beginnings of a fairly decent Minnesota DWI Attorney's reasonable doubt argument. But, maybe that's just me, always trying to make lemonade out of lemons (and court rulings.) 

Mmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment