Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fair Play?


As the esteemed Mr. Ward rightly asserts in this article - and any client should know - defense attorneys have an "absolute right" to request reassignment if they don't believe a judge can be fair.

As a matter of fact, I'll take it one further - as a Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney, it is my overriding responsibility to do the best that I can do for my client - and if that means that I know a judge is not going to give my him or her a fair shake - then I have a duty to remove that judge.

If the government is going to come after you - if they are seeking to take away your rights and freedoms, to fine you huge sums of money, and to possibly do harm to your reputation and to your future - then the least that they can do is to allow my client and I to have their case decided out on a level playing field. To do otherwise, cheapens justice for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment