Thursday, March 24, 2011

Canada and Drunk Driving

Have any plans of traveling to Canada? Well, you'd might want to reconsider if you have been convicted of a DWI.

Much like other nations, the government of Canada excludes certain non-citizens from entering the country if they have been assigned to something called the Inadmissible Class. How does one become "inadmissible?" Well, one way is by having had been convicted of a criminal offense - like a DWI.

Believe it or not,Canada regards DWI as an extremely serious offense and if you have a prior conviction for Drunk Driving on your record - you may qualify as a member of the Inadmissible Class and will not be allowed to enter Canada freely.

Granted, there is a silver lining to this cloud - the Inadmissible status can be amended. A person deemed Inadmissible may be rehabilitated and be eligible for entry after a certain period has expired - from the completion of the criminal sentence imposed. Depending on the offense, this period may be as short as 5 years or as long as 10 years.

It might also be possible to get a temporary resident permit to enter Canada - prior to rehabilitation, but this is up to the passport control officer's discretion and requires a fee.  The temporary resident permit is meant to allow entry for exceptional circumstances, which would include reasons of national interest or on strong humanitarian or compassionate grounds.


Another consequences of being convicted of a DWI - No Canada for you. If you've been arrested for a DWI, you have to be aware of your rights - and the consequences you could face. If you have questions, contact an experienced, Minnesota DWI and Drunk Driving Attorney, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment