Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Top 5 - There Are No Stupid Questions?


You'd think I'd heard them all, but everyday (and in almost every way) i get questions - lots and lots of legal questions.  Here are my (current) Top 5 favorites - The Traffic Edition.

-1-

Q: Can I get a DWI while riding a horse?
A: No.  The same goes for a bicycle too.  Why? Because neither has a motor.

-2- 

Q: Can I get a DWI, even if I am on private property?     
 A: Yes. Minnesota's DWI laws apply everywhere - on land, on the water and on ice.

-3- 

Q: Is the speed listed on the yellow and black signs near curves enforceable?  
A: Sort of. Although traveling at a speed greater than those posted on said signs is not per se illegal, there is a provision in the statute that says that "[n]o person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions." as such - almost any speed, under the right (or better yet - wrong) conditions could be found to be illegal.

-4-

Q: Can I drive barefoot?
A: Yes, but it’s probably not a good idea in middle of winter.

-5-

Q: If I run a yellow light, will I get a ticket?
A: Maybe? You might get a ticket - but the conduct is NOT illegal.  As a matter of fact, as long as your front bumper is actually in the intersection when the light turns red, you've done nothing wrong.


-Bonus Question!-

Q: If I get a ticket, what should I do?
A: Don't just plead guilty. Remember, it is the government's job to prove - beyond a reasonable doubt - that what you've been alleged to have done is in fact illegal. Hold them to their duty.  Talk to an experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney today and learn you're rights. Them get the results you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment