Dakota County DWI cases are serious matters and it is important to consider having a hard-hitting Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney help you avoid a conviction and the harsh penalties that accompany it.
What You Should Know
There are two court proceedings that follow a Minnesota DWI arrest, one is the criminal proceeding that has to do with any jail time, fines and penalties for the conviction. The other is the civil proceeding, which is the process that determines whether or not you will suffer a loss of driving privileges, license plates and/or your vehicle. This generally occurs through an implied consent/forfeiture hearing in the State of Minnesota. At these proceedings, you need an experienced Minnesota DWI attorney to protect your rights and fight against the charges. There are several defenses that can be made on your behalf in a DWI case. One key method of defense is challenging evidence and procedures, questioning all of the following issues could lead to a dismissed case:
- Was there reasonable suspicion for the police to pull the driver over?
- Was the driver driving or operating a vehicle?
- Was there probable cause for an arrest?
- Did the officer explain the implied consent law and the potential consequences for test refusal?
- Did the accusedt actually refuse the test?
- Were all field sobriety and chemical tests administered properly?
- Were any of the driver's rights violated?
A skilled Dakota County DWI lawyer may be able to find the flaws in the case and challenge any evidence gathered against the defendant. This can help you in protecting your driver's license and also help with avoiding the serious penalties that follow a DWI conviction.
If you have been arrested for DWI in Dakota County, contact the Rolloff Law Office. I am a former prosecutor who has worked thousands of cases like this. Call (612) 234-1165 to set-up a free case evaluation.