Friday, February 8, 2013

Minnesota Juvenile Defense Lawyer

I'm sure that almost ANY parent would agree that --- you want to do what is best for your kids. You want to protect them, believe the best of them, and hope to ensure a future for them that is better than your own - right?  Well, if your son or daughter is caught up in a mess with the courts the thing you can do is to turn the case over to a legal professional.

Seriously, seeking to handle a juvenile arrest without the advice of an experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney can often do more harm than good. 

For example, if your child was present (but not directly involved) while a criminal act was being committed, did you know that he or she can potentially be charged with a crime?  Yep --- aiding and abetting.. and he/she can potentially face serious and lasting criminal penalties - just like the major players in the offense.  So, if your child admits to being present for the crime, even while trying to point out that he or she didn't take part, they may actually be confessing to aiding and abetting. Similarly, any information that you give the police about your child can be used to build a case against your child, even if your intent was to defend him or her.

Be Careful

Law enforcement knows how to interrogate adult offender --- just imagine what they do with children.  Trust me - the right questions can compel even an innocent person to make an incriminating statement. This is why it is so important to work with a juvenile defense attorney as quickly as possible, and to make sure that a professional is present during any questioning. A polite but strong statement that you and your child have nothing to say until a lawyer is present can make all the difference in your child's case.

At the Rolloff Law Office, I provide honest answers and straight talk.  Let me put my experience as a former prosecutor to work for you - the well-intentioned parent who (and I've seen it time and time again) could accidently make a bad situation worse by trying to fix things on their own. Whether you believe your son or daughter has done something wrong or not, the first thing you should do when your child is arrested is talk to a lawyer - before telling your child to talk to the police. Because, a juvenile criminal conviction can have permanent consequences.

For more information contact my office, today, at (612) 234-1165 to schedule a free initial consultation and case review to discuss your child's specific situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment