Saturday, October 27, 2012

Minnesota Fleeing (Explained)

Last week I met with a woman who (it's alleged) briefly attempted to evade police with her young daughter in the vehicle --- and is now being charged with Felony Fleeing Police in a Motor Vehicle and a DWI.

The police officer attempted to stop this young woman when he pulled up behind her vehicle and noticed that her license plates were expired. She then pulled into a business' parking lot. When the officer stepped up to her vehicle's driver's side window, she informed the officer that she did not have a driver's license or the vehicle's registration. The officer then instructed her to stay in her vehicle while he returned to his squad car. She then drove away. After the officer pursued her for less than a mile, she again pulled over where she taken out of the vehicle and arrested.

Here's the Scoop

A person may be charged in the State of Minnesota with Fleeing a Police Officer in a Motor Vehicle, a Felony, if the person does any of the following in an attempt to evade police after the officer signals the driver to stop:

  • Increases their speed;
  • Turns off their headlights or taillights;
  • Fails to stop; or
  • Uses other means to evade police.

The penalty for said offense up to 3 years and 1 day in jail, as well as a fine of up to $5,000.

What Does This Mean For You?

If you are driving your car and a police officer signals you, whether by lights and sirens or otherwise, you should pull over. Taking action to evade the police may result in a felony charge for Fleeing a Police Officer in a Motor Vehicle, which would be in addition to whatever other charges you may be facing, such as Drunk Driving. Fleeing police and DWI are serious charges. However, when there are additional factors, such as a minor child in the vehicle, a high blood alcohol contraction, etc., the complexity of the situation is compounded and the penalties are often enhanced.

Fleeing the police in a motor vehicle and DWI have serious consequences and require experienced representation. If you think you might be charged or you have been charged with Fleeing a Police Officer and or DWI, contact an experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney for a free consultation. You need an experienced attorney fighting to protect you - call the Rolloff Law Office today: (612) 234-1165.


  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your effort in sharing this informative articles. Very impressive and quite interesting for the readers. Good job.


  2. I read your blog.I thought it was great.. Hope you have a great day. God bless.