Unfortunately, domestic violence is an all too common occurrence in the State of Minnesota. If you or someone you love suddenly find themselves charged with a crime --- or is in need of an order of protection --- you need to understand what you’re up against. This is why you should contact a Minnesota Defense Attorney.
What You Need to Know
A very common occurrence --- when someone is charged with domestic violence crime is that the accused is prohibited from having contact with the complaning witness --- this can also include their residence and their family. In Minnesota --- this can come in the form of a DANCO (Domestic Abuse No Contact Order) and/or OFP (Order for Protection.)
Violate one of these orders and one can find them-self facing even more charges. Therefore, it is vital that him/her understands what the different kinds of orders require of you.
What These Orders Prevent One From Doing
Once a judge hears the case, she will decide on which type of protective order to make and the stipulations thereof --- including:
- A prohibition from going near your own home (if the alleged victim continues to reside there), the alleged victim’s workplace, and possibly your children’s school(s);
- Removal of custody of your children (or limitations in your rights);
- Payment of spousal support to your accuser;
- Restitution for domestic assault, including payment for injuries;
- Awarded divorce and termination of spousal rights;
- Mandatory counseling/therapy; and
- Anything the judge deems necessary.
Breaking a protective order is punishable by law, and in most cases will earn you criminal charges . If a protective order is issued against you and you don’t understand it, the best thing you can do is talk to a knowledgeable domestic violence lawyer who can explain what you are up against and tell you your options.
The Rolloff Law Office is a Minneapolis-based criminal and defense firm known for fighting aggressively for its clients and utilizing tactics honed while serving as a prosecutor. Call to set up a FREE CONSULTATION - today - (612) 234-1165